Tech workers operate in a turbulent environment. Platform and consumer expectation changes so rapidly that it requires a lot of energy to maintain your products’ position in the marketplace.
If you are in a leadership position, it’s even harder because you are accountable for the aggregate outcome of your team, while the foundational elements are changing swiftly.
So, what can we do to increase our odds of success?
Here are my top 5:
- If you find your immediate team is not cohesive or well balanced, don’t settle. Help your leader understand the gaps and work with her/him to improve it. If it still doesn’t work, it’s time to consider a switch. Life is short.
- If you are one of the lucky ones who are currently part of a cohesive and balanced group, step on the accelerator. Grow, innovate and take some informed risks, as much as you can under such favourable conditions; and teach what you have learned actively. It will create a virtuous cycle that propels the entire group forward.
- Cohesive and balanced teams are powerful because the outcome is often more than the sum of its parts.
- Do your part and be a trustworthy member consistently. A high-trust environment is incredibly valuable to everyone on the team. It’s a positive upward lifting force.
- Accept that no one is perfect. Everyone will lose their balance at some point.
Hope this helps!